Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Good-Bye Paradise - Part 2. Hello home.

That start of the trip report starts way back here.

On the way out of Yosemite (via 41) we had to pass the overlook again and this time even though it was Memorial Day we found parking very easily.   

Looking down at the road (highway 140/120). 


The lady in red pants was taking pictures with an iPad and honestly people I understand it, but geesh... you are being noticed and make me giggle. Enough with that nonsense. On to the beauty. 



5 days earlier we were sweating and the sun was shining and I could not pick what I think is more breathtaking. I find this place amazing. Yes, the word amazing is over used, but Yosemite you own the word amazing. 

The tunnel to the Wawona and the south exit. 

See the small streaks, by this point it was hailing. 

(Insert blurry picture of hail. I promise there is something on my finger) 

Back in the car and hoping that when we climbed elevation that no chains were required. 






We passed the storm and stopped at Wawona. #1 priority was the bathroom and your reward is...  

A selfie. Are you happy? Are you entertained? - Too many quotes live in my head. 

Wawona is the pioneer village and you can see how transportation has evolved and if you cross the bridge over the river you can see the old village. 


All the trash cans are the same. Welcome to bear country. 




As you can see, the weather had cleared up by this point, but it was still chilly. We explored the store which had 99% of the same souvenirs that we just had seen in the Village Store. There is a beautiful hotel at Wawona that is very historical and dramatic looking in this landscape. Click here to check it out.

I still like to think that the valley was sad to see me go so it of course cried. Yes, it had nothing to do with it, but just go with me on it.

On the way out of the park you have to show your receipt to show that you paid the entrance fee (that is good for 7 days), but they were so busy that bypassed the entrance / exit and headed out. We stopped for lunch at The 'Ol Kettle  in Oakhurst which is the only major town on highway 41. I remembered not caring about what I got just as long as it was fried! I got a sandwich with french fries. They were wonderful, but that might have been because I did not have to make it.   

The door into the restaurant. It says "In a world where you can be anything.. Be Yourself." 

Yes, I like the quote. So much that I already had this exact quote / cling on my wall at home.  

Back on Highway 99
So many bugs lost their lives. R.I.P. bugs that decided to dive bomb the windshield. 

Around the time we got to Bakersfield (which is the last major town before you reach the hills that you climb that drop you down into LA). A friend who lives in Bakersfield and I were trying to meet up, but it did not work out. I did know where I wanted to go for dinner.

Sonic! 

The closest one is about 40 minutes away (near Disneyland so that is a bonus) and then I found out that my dad had never tried them and realized it was a must do! He ended up having a burger combo (with fries and not tots. Mistake!)


This was my dinner. I was not crazy hungry because I don't always eat 3 meals a day and with all the traveling and stress of things I did not even finish this. 

That cherry on top is the perfect ending to this vacation. Was I sad that the person that I planned the trip for ended up bailing on me? Of course, but I had a good time and was able to breathe and feel relaxed for the first time in a long time. 

Find a place you love and take a moment to drink it all in. Appreciate that you get to see the beauty in the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment